Friday, January 28, 2011

FOs: Baby Hat and Mittens

It has been so long I've forgotten how small and quick baby knits are. This was a welcome change to some of the items I've been working on lately.

One of my co-workers has a daughter who learned to knit last year. She is a very motivated young lady and when she was invited to a baby shower for a family member she decided she wanted to knit a little scarf. I was asked to knit the matching hat and mittens, with the yarn she had picked. We work well together! =)

I found this free pattern and made some modifications. Miss N knows garter stitch (knit all stitches) so I did the hat in only garter stitch. I also skipped the cable detail.

The end result is cute, but so tiny. I measured again and again and it is big enough for the size I wanted. Still hard to believe babies are this small. I am crossing my fingers that the ear flaps are positioned right. The pattern didn't say exactly where to place them.

I also made one other modification. I have to admit, I despise pom-poms. I was eager in the past and actually have a collection of metal washers that I use to make them. Still, this was not a relaxing adventure. I made the one for the top of the hat and the two little ones for the hat "ties". Then, instead of four more (ugh!) for the mittens I crocheted six chain stitches, joined in a circle, then crocheted 12 double-crochet stitches in the circle. I cut the yarn and joined the little circle to the end of each tie. It looks so cute, even though the photo didn't come out.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Miss N likes these. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment