Monday, March 28, 2011

A Tale of Two Yarns

This was "supposed to be" a post about two contradictory yarns, but being a hopeless optimist I've chosen to instead just write about the best.

I learned to knit, as many of us did, using Red Heart acrylic yarn. I chose an emerald green hue and was thrilled. I used that for a long time and branched out slowly into Caron Pound of Love. Then some baby yarns and others. I found along the way Lion Brand Microspun. I wish I could remember what led me there, but it was a fantastic lime green and some in white and I made a cute baby outfit. I love the sheen and the smooth feel as it passes through my fingers.

Microspun isn't overly pricey, but was hard to find locally in some seasons. So, I was happy to find pound bags of mill ends and discovered the Caron Simply Soft line which has a similar sheen and texture as the Microspun. Then, also in mill ends, I discovered Lion Brand Homespun. Mill ends made me a hoarder.

Simply soft has sheen and drape that I think make it good for light, feminine clothing. I also adore the fact that they now have a line of Eco products which contain post-consumer recycled plastic bottles. If I'm going to buy new yarn then this is a top choice. Simply Soft works fantastic for winter socks that can be thrown into the washer and dryer.


Homespun is great for Winter wear. The scarves I've made from it are the simplest of patterns but always get compliments. This yarn also washes wonderfully. It knits into great afghans as well (double stranded on large needles for weathering arctic temps).



I can't decide if I'm too busy or too lazy to hand wash items, but either way these two yarns fit my lifestyle and for that I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment