Tuesday, January 24, 2012

FO 2012: Fingerless Mitts

It was just a short time ago that I started winning my family over to the ways of hand knit items. My first few attempts were flops, such as a very large, too stretchy hat I made my Dad as a second off the needles project when I learned to knit. Now, however, over a decade later (oy!) I am much better at gauge and style and well, I can do it-I have faith, and confidence, and a stash to be busted!

My eldest sister's birthday rolled around in October 2011 and I gave her a set of Dextrous Mitts in a rich purple-Caron Simply Soft (modeled in the 2011 Finished Objects post). She was hooked. She works in a non-heated office and when the weather hit a cold snap this year, going from 60 degrees Fahrenheit to 9, I knew I'd better kick it into high gear and get her another pair-STAT! She had picked red yarn for her next pair, but I didn't have time to start the next of that pattern. Instead I grabbed some Lion Brand Homespun in a bright red and cast on for some simple ones.


I'm hooked! I may need HELP!!! I knit the first pair and gave them to my sister. This was right after I'd frogged a bunch of this yarn. My sis mentioned, over and over again, how I should sell these. I thought, hey, I wonder how many pairs I could get out of one skein.

Trouble! Danger! Danger! DANGER AHEAD!! Turn back NOW!

Did I mention that not only did I stash a bunch of this brand yarn years ago when A.C. Moore was carrying it as mill ends, a pound for cheap, but right before Christmas I purchased two skeins to start a gift scarf and couldn't resist four more as they were on sale 2 skeins for $6. Help! Did I mention I need help??

Ok, so as it stands my sister has her red pair. I have another red pair knit but not sewn. I have a pair of red with a contrasting stripe that is being cast off as soon as I finish this post. Then...oh, yes...then there is still more to the skein of red (now in a ball after frogging mentioned above). I have yet to touch the four new skeins or the many others I have in drawers in the craft room. I look at them longingly though, knowing these projects are quick and addictive and can actually help others. How can I resist?

Is there a knitters anonymous group?

No comments:

Post a Comment