Sunday, January 15, 2012

Hooked a Hat

Early this year Mom came up to watch the girls. It was finally starting to feel like Winter, one of those days  where it went from 60 degrees the day before to about 4 that morning. She was cold and wondered if I had, by chance, a hat she could use that would cover her ears.

I looked at her for what must've seemed an eternity. I was awe struck. The weekend before the girls came home from a visit with new hats, scarves, and gloves. I tucked away their handmade, felted wool ones to be washed sometime soon. I have a shoebox near the door filled to overflowing with Fall caps and longer items.

Did I have a hat? Uh, uh...yeah.

I dug out the two my girls had just retired as the best warm options. My girls have large heads and I had made their hats to last a few years. Mom has a purple scarf so Carebear's matched best as it is orange, pink, and purple.

I laughed to myself and was glad for my crafting skills. Then, as any good daughter/crafter would do, I started a hat for my Mom. I pulled out some wool from my stash (I don't have much wool, believe it or not)...alpaca in fact. I then paired it with my favorite Caron simply soft in a violet. The two together made a super warm fabric, which is important as my Mom is forever cold in the Winter months.

Instead of knitting I decided to crochet a cap. It seemed like it would go quicker, until I realized that with double thick yarn and a small needle it would take at least a couple days. Still, I kept plodding along. Ruffle added for girly effect, as Mom is that kind of gal. The color was flattering. Then to the top and time to embellish. I asked my girls for input and following their advice and my own I put a large flower at the pinnacle and small ones all around.

Now, don't be fooled by its appearance here, it truly is a girly-girl hat in person. The pointy top disappears when on a head. I forgot to snap a photo when I tried it on, but I'll try to get one of Mom in it. The hat stands up ever so nicely just because the yarns held together make the fabric super thick and warm. Awesome for the recipient, I think.

So, without further ado, here is my first finished object of 2012:


I wish I'd taken a side view as well. Next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment