Saturday, January 21, 2012

FO 2012: Doll Outfit #1

I love Microsoft Excel. I use it at work all day, every day. I took a series of classes in it years ago. I can do charts, and formulas, conditional formatting, even basic macros. Still, it wasn't until reading another's blog entry that I suddenly had an "Ah Ha!" moment and realized I could create a craft "To Do" list with Excel.

I laugh as I guess in all reality I never had a need for a "To Do" list for that part of my life. I would pick up yarn when I wanted and knit what I wanted and call it good. When/if I got an order I'd take the time to do that, based on what deadline was provided. Then, back to whatever, whenever.

Now, I'm focusing a bit differently. I've been getting more consistent orders and I can see my skills improving. I want to make this work. I want to keep feeding my constant customer and also build my Etsy shop. On top of all that, over the last year and a half I finally figured out how to introduce my family to hand knit items and have them understand how great they are. That's thrilling, but adds a lot to my list of things to make. People do tend to get hooked, you know.

One of my goals, as I noted above, is to grow my Etsy shop. I'm going to do it slow, making items throughout the year for a holiday launch this year. I don't want to get caught again in December with no Winter outfits in the shop. How silly to have to make only custom orders that late in the year. I've set a goal of one outfit a month for at least the first ten months. More would be good and can probably be easily accomplished as I make outfits for the girls this year and add here and there.

How's it going, you may ask? So far, so good. My second finished object of 2012 is a doll outfit. I'm quite excited as this was finished by the due date on my spreadsheet. I also made three other dresses, so I'm ahead for the next outfits.


As if that weren't enough, top it off with my friend completing my very first label to go inside the sweaters. I am so excited, it is hard to contain. Somehow, seeing the label makes it all real...as if I'm really a crafter of value, really a designer, really going to do this.



We'll see how it goes, but in the meantime I'll sit back and smile at this new outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment