Sunday, September 12, 2010

Going Green (FOs)

I am, at heart, a liberal environmentalist. No, I do not compost all my waste and yes, I did use disposable diapers but mostly because of location not will. I'd love to do so much more than recycling and reusing shopping bags and such. Still, all this is a start.

What I have started doing it reusing clothing rather than throwing out items with holes or stains. Instead, I try to find a use for the good parts. It is fortunate that I have two little ones who can always use new items made from larger old ones. I also have been dragged into a world of doll clothes which I'm loving and they are certainly small enough to reuse material.

So, this weekend I put the finishing touches on a four-piece ensemble for 18 inch dolls. I've written a bit lately about trying socks and while I was knitting for my daughters my mind wandered to a doll pattern I'd come across in my stash. I didn't want to get that complicated, but why couldn't I adapt the easy, two-needle pattern from person size to doll size? Let's try. Out came one of our three measuring tapes and calculations began. Then the real trial was keeping my kids occupied for the tiny bit less than an hour it took to knit the pair. I used some green yarn I had sitting on my table from my eldest daughter's socks. I love green so this was added inspiration and the soft baby yarn doesn't hurt.

I finished the ankle socks and put them on my doll and voila! I couldn't resist. Now she had to have something to go with those.

Onto the needles went a sweater in the same yarn. My "normal" go-to pattern wasn't large enough around but I wanted to play anyway so I did a basic pattern, adding a cable to the front plackets and short instead of long sleeves. Then I finished with a crocheted scalloped edge and tie closure.



The doll I have doesn't look right showing her "skin" so I chose to recycle some clothing for her. I took the pockets off a pair of old jeans and sewed them together for a skirt. Then I cut part of the lace sleeve off an old nightgown to use for a tube top under the sweater.

Put it all together and here's what I got:



No comments:

Post a Comment