Monday, September 6, 2010

Crafting for Kiddies (FOs)

I want my girls to be Gap girls! I can't help it and I don't know why. I was talking to a friend the other day and confessed that I almost spent $50 on a pair of non-waterproof boots after seeing the cutest commercial ever last year and wanting desperately for Star to "fit in". I am so NOT a Gap girl. Our family never had the money to shop there and even if they had I don't know as I would've quite fit in to their clothing or image. In fact, for years I'd wander in and check out baby stuff and get snubbed by the sales associates.


The last few times I've been in have been different and I've actually been helped. I still don't look a thing like a Gap customer, but they treat me nicely anyway. When we were school shopping I couldn't help but wander in. Star oohed and aahed at some jeans and when I asked her what she liked about them, if they were a "must have" she commented that she really just liked the belts. So, we looked around for just belts and they weren't selling any so we moved on and added belts to her shopping list.

So, from my trip to the Gap here is one of the pairs of jeans (hover over the patches) and here is one of the belts. Last night I pulled out the remnants of a pair of jeans that I had cut apart to recycle for a blanket. I took the seam ripper to the back pockets to use them for a doll skirt. When I removed them I noticed these were awesome. The very faded washed jeans had very dark spots where the pockets had been. This got me thinking that maybe I could use the remains as a skirt for Star. We talked and measured and picked patch fabric and today I sewed and tried on her and sewed more and tweaked here and there and then cut and ironed and starched and sewed and so on. Until, drum roll please.........I came up with this (my knock-off of the jeans and belts):

The back where the pockets had been.
Woven belt with D-ring closure. I wish the photo was clearer as it really is cute if I do say so myself.
Saved the best for last...the whole skirt, front view.

I'm usually pretty humble, but for these five minutes I'm feeling pretty good about the skirt. I wish I were young enough to wear it myself.

Back to humble, I knit two pairs of simple two-needle socks. Each of my girls got to pick her colors, so there is no intentional Red Hat Society reference. Unfortunately, even after measuring my youngest's foot and knitting to the "right" length, I got hers about an inch too long. At least she can wear them around the house and look forward to something to grow into that is all hers instead of a hand-me-down. She loves the stripes anyway.

The picot edge was my addition as the original pattern had a ribbed cuff. I like this one a bit more and will probably do more pairs in this style.

Happy Feet!
Both wanted short socks and this is about as short as I can go with this pattern or they start to slip off the back of the heel.

All this crafting was amazing and fun but I'm stuck wondering if I'm just a "too cool" Mom or if I'm sending my daughters down a road of loathing me and being mocked by classmates. I pray it is the former as my eldest is heading back to school with a handmade skirt from last year and a shirt I embellished to match. She's very excited, but I do worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment