Wednesday, November 24, 2010

WIPs: Mittens times 4 and Stripey Socks

I've blogged before about a very special pair of mittens that are underway. I've made a lot of progress and think I will be able to finish without a problem, before Christmas (knock on wood). I've finished the two mittens using the soy/wool combo yarn. Now, I've moved on to using Caron Simply Soft to knit the liner pair (the inside-out mitten shown below). This will, I hope, eliminate any scratchiness from the wool as the recipient reportedly doesn't like wool next to her skin. So far I have one liner done and it fits in fine and my hand will, too.

When I'm done with these I think I'm going to cut some leather (from an old coat) to use for the palms so they can also be worn for driving. As I may have said, the recipient has very, very cold hands.

On another set of needles is a sock for my youngest. I'm using two size three, sixteen inch circular needles. My daughter went through a phase, when I purchased the yarn, where she adored purple. Shortly after she went back to thinking everything has to be pink. So, I used the purples I had intended (Caron Simply Soft) and stole some pink from the yarn for her sister's pair, making the heel. Not sure how long I'm going to make the cuff, but so far it is turning out pretty well. The foot part is striped and the cuff will be solid in the darker purple. Quirky, like that daughter.

Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment