Friday, June 18, 2010

Kool Aid Dye

I've found time the last few months to wander the internet trolling for knitting sites. I consider myself very lucky to have stumbled upon a site that then directed me to others then to others and on and on and on.

One such site is Eskimimi Knits. This amazing woman writes from the heart and provides such inspiration. One such entry With Flying Colours detailed the process of dying natural fibers using nothing but Kool Aid. I was drawn in so much that I ordered some recycled wool and promptly went to the grocery store to pick colors. The girls helped mix and following Eskimimi's directions (mostly) I made some marvelous yarn which I cannot wait to use.


The process was fun and easy. I loved watching the wind blow the yarn around as it hung to dry. The scent is a familiar childhood friend. I even coaxed one of my nieces into sitting beside me a while as I wound the balls. This is one of my favorite knitting experiences thus far. I hope you'll try, too (perhaps you'll be more restrained and avoid green thumbs by not pushing the yarn into the dye with bare hands-LOL!).

No comments:

Post a Comment